Cuba Buys More Than 300 Drones from Russia and Iran, Report Says

3 hours ago 2
Flag of Cuba. Shutterstock

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta Cuba has acquired more than 300 military drones, according to classified intelligence cited by Axios news outlet. 

The report published on Sunday alleges that Cuba had discussed plans to use military drones to attack the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay as well as military vessels and possibly Key West, Florida.

The Trump administration is concerned because of developments in drone warfare and the presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana, Axios cited a senior US official as saying.

"When we think about those types of technologies being that close, and a range of bad actors from terror groups to drug cartels to Iranians to the Russians, it's concerning," the unnamed official was quoted as saying. "It's a growing threat."

Cuba has been acquiring attack drones from Russia and Iran since 2023 and is seeking to buy more, US officials told Axios.

Cuba reacts to Axios report

Cuba's Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez accused the United States of fabricating a "fraudulent case" to justify economic ‌sanctions and potential military intervention.

"With no legitimate excuse whatsoever, the US government is, day after day, building a fraudulent case to justify a ruthless economic war against the Cuban people and an eventual military aggression," Rodriguez wrote on X on Sunday.

"Cuba neither threatens nor desires war."

Rodriguez did not explicitly mention the drone allegations in his statement.

US ramps up pressure on Cuba

The Axios report comes as the US mounts pressure on Cuba.

Late last week, US media and news agencies reported that the US was taking steps to indict Raul Castro, Cuba's former president and the brother of late long-term leader Fidel Castro.

CIA director John Radcliffe also visited the island nation last Thursday.

US broadcaster CBS News cited an unnamed CIA official as saying that Radcliffe had warned Cuba against being a "safe haven for adversaries in the Western Hemisphere."

The Trump administration has also effectively cut off oil shipments to Cuba by threatening tariffs on any country that exports oil to the Caribbean nation.

This has led to massive power failures across the island.

Earlier in May, US President Donald Trump said the United States would be "taking over" Cuba "almost immediately."

Read: Cuba's Power Grid 'Critical' as US Blocks Fuel Shipments

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


Cuba's Power Grid 'Critical' as US Blocks Fuel Shipments

2 hari lalu

Cuba's Power Grid 'Critical' as US Blocks Fuel Shipments

Protests flared in Havana amid widespread blackouts. Cuba officials met CIA Director John Ratcliffe with a goal of improving bilateral cooperation.


Cuban President Vows Defense of Island if US Invades

31 hari lalu

Cuban President Vows Defense of Island if US Invades

Cuba's president has vowed to defend the island if the US launches a military assault, amid repeated invasion threats from President Trump.


Russian Oil Tanker Docks in Cuba, First Since US Blockade

46 hari lalu

Russian Oil Tanker Docks in Cuba, First Since US Blockade

The tanker carrying some 730,000 barrels of crude oil is sanctioned by the US, the EU and the UK amid the war in Ukraine.


US Lets Russian Oil Tanker Approach Cuba Despite Blockade

48 hari lalu

US Lets Russian Oil Tanker Approach Cuba Despite Blockade

US President Donald Trump said he had "no problem" with Russia or another country delivering oil to Cuba as it faces an acute energy crisis.


'Cuba Is Next': Trump Hints at U.S. Action After Iran

49 hari lalu

'Cuba Is Next': Trump Hints at U.S. Action After Iran

Trump's comments came as tensions between Washington and Havana remain high, with the U.S. president recently increasing pressure on Cuba.


Cuba Seeks Vatican's Help to Ease U.S. Oil Embargo

50 hari lalu

Cuba Seeks Vatican's Help to Ease U.S. Oil Embargo

Havana has petitioned the Vatican to mediate between Cuba and the United States amid the worsening energy crisis on the island.


UN Pushes Emergency Plan for Cuba Aid Amid US Talks

52 hari lalu

UN Pushes Emergency Plan for Cuba Aid Amid US Talks

The UN has presented an aid action plan for Cuba to US officials, which even involves fuel tracking models.


Trump Threatens Cuba Takeover During Power Crisis

17 Maret 2026

Trump Threatens Cuba Takeover During Power Crisis

President Donald Trump signals a potential takeover of Cuba as the island faces a total power grid collapse due to U.S. oil blockades.


Cuba Hit by Island-Wide Blackout amid Trump Oil Blockade

17 Maret 2026

Cuba Hit by Island-Wide Blackout amid Trump Oil Blockade

The Cuban government said it is probing a "complete disconnection" of the nation's electrical system.


Cuba: Protesters Attack Ruling Party's Office Amid Blackouts

15 Maret 2026

Cuba: Protesters Attack Ruling Party's Office Amid Blackouts

Long, daily blackouts ignited by a US oil blockade have pushed Cuban residents to the edge.


Read Entire Article
International | Entertainment | Lingkungan | Teknologi | Otomotif | Lingkungan | Kuliner |