
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The legal team of Indonesia's former minister Nadiem Makarim's, represented by Ari Yusuf Amir, responded to the allegations that they mobilized a group of influencers to defend Nadiem Makarim on social media. "Formally, there is no official collaboration, but we did open up and present this case to the public. We elaborated on each detail," said Ari in Jakarta on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
Ari stated that the legal team presented the trial facts regarding the alleged corruption case involving the procurement of Chromebooks, which implicated the former Minister of Education, Nadiem Makarim. This case has attracted public attention and online community.
During the sentencing hearing on May 13, 2026, the prosecutor demanded an 18-year prison sentence, a fine of Rp1 billion, and compensation of Rp5.6 trillion from Nadiem. The prosecutor accused Nadiem of committing corruption offenses along with four other suspects in the procurement of Chromebooks.
The prosecutor alleged that Nadiem directed the other suspects to steer the digitalization program in the Ministry of Education towards a particular product, namely the Chromebook, a product of Google. According to the prosecutor, Nadiem chose Chromebook because there had been an agreement between Google and Nadiem, even before Nadiem was appointed as the minister.
The legal team denied all of these allegations, including the claim of Rp809 billion as Nadiem's profit from Google. Nadiem also refuted this claim. Nadiem explained that the funds were a corporate transaction between PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa (AKAB) and PT Gojek Indonesia, both companies that he founded.
"So, the transaction was between these two companies. PT AKAB injected Rp809 billion in the form of new share issuance in PT Gojek Indonesia, so PT AKAB owned 99.9 percent of PT GI shares," Nadiem Makarim said during the trial at the Jakarta Corruption Court on Monday, May 11, 2026. The prosecutor then linked these funds to the investment injection from Google to PT AKAB, which they suspected to be related to the selection of Chromebooks.
Read: Lawyer Confident Nadiem Makarim Will Be Acquitted
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Prosecutors Allege White-Collar Crime Scheme in Nadiem Makarim Case
6 hari lalu

Prosecutor Roy Riady said the alleged scheme exploited bureaucratic loopholes and official authority for Nadiem's personal benefit.
Nadiem Makarim Hugs Gojek Drivers Following 18-Year Jail Demand
6 hari lalu

One of the drivers said he would continue supporting Nadiem regardless of the case, calling him his "economic hero".
Nadiem Faces Rp5.6tn Demand: 'They Know I Don't Have the Money'
7 hari lalu

The prosecutor demands Nadiem Makarim to pay a reimbursement of Rp5.6 trillion in the corruption case of Chromebook and Chrome Device Management procurement for the fiscal year 2020-2022.
New Testimony in Nadiem's Alleged Chromebook Corruption Case
13 hari lalu

Judges extended the trial of Nadiem Makarim in the Chromebook corruption case. Former Google executives testified.
Nadiem Makarim Asks Court to Summon Six Witnesses in Chromebook Case
36 hari lalu

The former Minister of Education Nadiem Makarim requested prosecutors to bring six witnesses to the trial of the Chromebook corruption case, but the prosecution deemed that the existing evidence is sufficient.
Chromebook Graft Case: Former Nadiem Staff Says She Earned Rp50 Million a Month
28 Januari 2026

Former staff member of Nadiem Makarim, Fiona Handayani, admitted to receiving a salary of Rp50 million per month while serving as a special staff.
Chromebook Graft Case: Nadiem Denies Meeting Google
27 Januari 2026

Defendant in the corruption case surrounding the procurement of Chromebook-based laptops, Nadiem Makarim, denied the testimony of witness from Google.
Chromebook Graft Case: Nadiem Makarim Offers Reverse Proof
6 Januari 2026

Former Minister of Education, Nadiem Anwar Makarim, through his legal advisor, stated his readiness to undergo reversed burden of proof in the alleged corruption case of Chromebook procurement.
Nadiem Makarim Charged With Causing Rp2.1 Trillion in State Losses
5 Januari 2026

A former Minister of Education, Nadiem Anwar Makarim, was charged with causing state losses of Rp2.1 trillion in the alleged corruption case related to the procurement of Chromebook laptops.
Nadiem Makarim's Corruption Trial Begins in Jakarta Today
5 Januari 2026

The indictment hearing for Nadiem had to be postponed twice because the former minister was still recovering from surgery.































:strip_icc():format(jpeg)/kly-media-production/medias/5485282/original/038819000_1769501489-pikojerico-175__1_.jpg.jpeg)
















:strip_icc():format(jpeg)/kly-media-production/medias/5536946/original/054706700_1774357534-Serrano.jpeg)

