Tempo Expresses Concern for Journalist Detained by Israel

2 hours ago 1

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Tempo media organization expresses concern for Tempo reporter Andre Prasetyo Nugroho, who was detained by Israel while covering a humanitarian aid mission to Gaza, Palestine. Andre was detained when his ship passed through international waters on Monday, May 18, 2026.

Tempo's Corporate Secretary Jajang Jamaludin, says that Tempo management is giving special attention to Andre's safety and his family's psychological well-being.

"Tempo continues to communicate with representatives of Andre's family to provide support, assistance, and regular updates," Jajang says in a written statement on Tuesday, May 19, 2026.

Before dispatching Andre to Gaza, Tempo has provided the journalist adequate training for reporting and volunteering in conflict areas, both through internal training and training organized by the inviting agencies, namely the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) and the Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI).

Tempo sent Andre on the mission since civilians in Gaza are in dire need of humanitarian aid, and because there is significant public attention among Indonesians regarding the conflict in Gaza. According to Jajang, as a media institution, Tempo deems it important to fulfill the public's right to obtain direct information from the ground.

Jajang explains that Tempo has received official confirmation from the inviting parties that Andre is one of the volunteers detained by the Israeli military on Monday, May 18, 2026, after regular contact with Andre had been cut off since Sunday, May 17, 2026.

"Tempo is currently working on acquiring and updating information through various parties, especially GSF and GPCI, to gain a comprehensive understanding of the situation on the ground," he said.

Tempo also utilizes various communication channels and networks, both domestic and international, to ensure that this issue becomes a collective concern and to seek the best possible measures to ensure Andre's safety and return.

Furthermore, Tempo continues to coordinate with other media organizations whose staff members have also been reported to be detained by the Israeli military to formulate and implement joint measures in rallying solidarity, international support, and efforts to repatriate the detained volunteers and media workers.

"The responses thus far from parties we are contacting have been very positive, although communication access to conflict areas remains limited," says Jajang. "Tempo will continue to monitor the situation and provide the latest information to the public."

Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Yvonne Mewengkang says her side has requested the Indonesian Embassies in Ankara, Cairo, Rome, Amman, and the Consulate General of Indonesia in Istanbul to prepare anticipatory measures such as issuing Substitute Travel Letters (SPLP) in case the passports are confiscated, as well as medical support if needed.

"Indonesian representatives have also approached local authorities to ensure smooth transit access and arrival processes for the citizens," Yvonne says in a video message to Tempo on May 19.

Yvonne mentions that the ministry, through relevant Indonesian representatives, will continue to monitor the situation, verify the positions and conditions of Indonesian citizens, and prepare protection measures as needed.

Of the nine Indonesian citizens participating in this mission, five of them were abducted by the Israeli military.

On the Bolarize ship, Republika journalist Bambang Noroyono, along with two Malaysian citizens, were detained by the Israeli military. On the Ozgurljuk ship, three Indonesian journalists were abducted by the Israeli military during the humanitarian mission to Gaza, Palestine. They are Andre Prasetyo from Tempo; Thoudy Badai from Republika; and Heru Rahendro, a contributor to Inews, Beritasatu, and CNN.

Another Indonesian citizen, humanitarian activist Andi Angga, was also abducted along with other members on the Josef ship.

Read: Indonesian Embassy Prepares Aid for Citizens Detained by Israel 

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


Last Contact With Tempo Journalist Before Israel Intercepted GSF

8 jam lalu

Last Contact With Tempo Journalist Before Israel Intercepted GSF

The last communication with Tempo journalist Andre Prasetyo Nugroho was recorded on Sunday night at around 10:42 PM Jakarta time.


TV Tempo Journalist Sends SOS After Israeli Interception

15 jam lalu

TV Tempo Journalist Sends SOS After Israeli Interception

TV Tempo journalist Andre Prasetyo Nugroho sent an SOS video after the Israeli army kidnapped the Global Sumud Flotilla 2.0 convoy.


Israel Intercepts Aid Flotilla Carrying 9 Indonesians

22 jam lalu

Israel Intercepts Aid Flotilla Carrying 9 Indonesians

The Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI) detailed reports that the Israeli navy has intercepted the Global Sumud Flotilla 2.0 aid mission.


Tempo to Expand Into AI-Based Information Business

7 hari lalu

Tempo to Expand Into AI-Based Information Business

Users will simply input a prompt or question, and the system will present information from Tempo's news database since 1971.


Tempo's Reader Revenue Strategy Clinches Gold at Digital Media Awards 2026

20 hari lalu

Tempo's Reader Revenue Strategy Clinches Gold at Digital Media Awards 2026

Tempo records 11 million monthly accesses on the Tempo.co website.


NasDem Slams Tempo, Says Surya Paloh Is 'Always Happy'

34 hari lalu

NasDem Slams Tempo, Says Surya Paloh Is 'Always Happy'

NasDem North Sumatra Chairperson Iskandar ST denies Tempo's report that the party is for sale.


Hundreds of NasDem Party Members Stage Protest at Tempo Office

35 hari lalu

Hundreds of NasDem Party Members Stage Protest at Tempo Office

Editor-in-Chief of Tempo, Setri Yasa, said Tempo appreciated the opinions expressed by NasDem Party members at the protest.


Tempo Receives JournalismAI Innovation Challenge 2025 Grant

15 Februari 2026

Tempo Receives JournalismAI Innovation Challenge 2025 Grant

Tempo has successfully secured a grant from the JournalismAI Innovation Challenge 2025 program, supported by the Google News Initiative.


Tempo's Strategy to Combat Digital Polarization

11 Februari 2026

Tempo's Strategy to Combat Digital Polarization

Tempo outlined a new paradigm: transforming the role of media from mere broadcasters to facilitators of social dialogue.


Fact Check: Video Claiming Aid Distribution Through Gacor25 Gambling Site Is AI-Edited

7 Februari 2026

Fact Check: Video Claiming Aid Distribution Through Gacor25 Gambling Site Is AI-Edited

Fact check - The video has been altered using artificial intelligence (AI)


Read Entire Article
International | Entertainment | Lingkungan | Teknologi | Otomotif | Lingkungan | Kuliner |