August 20, 2026 | 08:48 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said Thursday that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was "dragging Turkey into dangerous adventures in Syria."
DW reported that the comments came after Israel carried out airstrikes on Syria's Abu al-Duhar air base earlier this week, claiming Turkish troops were about to deploy there.
"Israel will not allow any entity to threaten its security," Katz wrote on X.
Responding later on Thursday, Turkey's Defense Ministry denied that it had any military presence at the Syrian air base and vowed to continue to support Syria's efforts to develop its own infrastructure and military capability.
The ministry also criticized Israel's actions, saying the strikes were "unacceptable," "reckless" and threatened regional peace and stability.
"In this context, our efforts and contributions to protect Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and help it establish a stable and secure environment, will continue resolutely," a ministry spokesman said.
Israel unease over Turkey's role
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel had warned Syria not to allow a Turkish presence at the air base.
"Our message was very clear. Don't. I guess they didn't quite understand the message," Netanyahu said on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said Israel had no legitimate justification for the bombing because he had made clear before the attack that there were no plans for Turkish forces to deploy.
"There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site," Al-Shaibani said in an interview with U.S. outlet Axios on Wednesday.
He added that the largely empty base was not yet operational and was being restored so that it could be used by the Syrian Air Force.
He acknowledged that Turkish military officers had visited the site in the days before Israel's strike, but stressed it was for "ongoing military cooperation in the areas of training and the exchange of expertise."
Heightened tensions between Turkey and Israel
Israel's strikes in Syria this week come at a time of heightened tensions between Turkey and Israel.
Last year, the two countries set up a line of communication to avoid any incidents in Syria, where both of their militaries are active.
Israel has repeatedly carried out airstrikes in Syria's southwest since former leader Bashar Assad was toppled in 2024, citing concerns over the militant background of the country's new rulers.
Turkey, meanwhile, has maintained a military presence in northern and eastern Syria for years and has become one of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa's main allies. Ankara accuses Israel of trying to destabilize the country and undermine its new administration.
Turkey and Israel are also at odds over the war in Gaza.
Syrian Foreign Minister Al-Shaibani said Syria remained open to negotiations with Israel on deescalation. But he said any future deal must address the security concerns on both sides and respect Syrian sovereignty.
Read: Syria, US Condemn Israeli Strikes on Military Base
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Israeli Military to Open Criminal Probes into 2 Gaza Attacks
22 jam lalu

Israel will investigate the deaths of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and 15 emergency workers in Gaza after reviewing 150 incidents involving its troops.
Syria, US Condemn Israeli Strikes on Military Base
1 hari lalu

Israel has not claimed the strikes on Syria's Abu al-Duhur airbase, while US envoy Tom Barrack called them an "unnecessary escalation."
Jared Kushner Meets Netanyahu in Jerusalem
3 hari lalu

The meeting comes amid a stalled post-war Gaza plan and after an Israeli minister called for more Palestinians to be killed in the enclave.
Regional Powers Condemn Israel's Rejection of Gaza Plan
3 hari lalu

The United Arab Emirates and seven other countries on Sunday condemned Israel's rejection of Trump's plan to end the war in the Gaza Strip.
Lebanon Says 11 Killed in Israeli Airstrikes
4 hari lalu

Lebanon's prime minister denounced the attacks on villages in southern Lebanon for targeting civilians in their homes.
Trump's Latin America Allies Open Arms to Israel
4 hari lalu

Ongoing military actions in Gaza and settler attacks on Palestinians in the occupied West Bank have largely isolated Israel globally.
Israeli Military Moves as Settlers Besiege 3 West Bank Homes
6 hari lalu

Israel's military moved to stop settlers besieging three West Bank homes, including one owned by a Palestinian American, drawing U.S. criticism.
Indonesia Condemns Israel's Rejection of Gaza Restoration Roadmap
6 hari lalu

Indonesia condemns Israel's rejection of the 15-point Gaza restoration roadmap, calling it an attempt to thwart international agreements.
Today's Top 3 News: Did Indonesia's UGM Rector Resign Over Jokowi's Diploma Ruling?
7 hari lalu

Here is the list of the top 3 news on Tempo English today.
Indonesia Immigration Explains How Israeli Citizens Can Enter Through Third Countries
7 hari lalu

Indonesia Immigration explains how some Israeli citizens enter the country using third-country passports, while others face strict visa checks.


















































